The Adriatic Ionian Euroregion was founded on June 30, 2006 in Pula, Region of Istria, Croatia.
It represents a model of co-operation that includes trans-national and inter-regional co-operation between regions of the Adriatic coastline.
The Adriatic Ionian Euroregion is the institutional framework for jointly defining and solving important issues in the Adriatic and Ionian area. It consists of 28 members – Regional and local governments from Italy, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro and Albania.
The aims of the AIE are the fallowing:
- Forming an area of peace, stability and co-operation
- Protection of the cultural heritage
- Protection of the environment
- Sustainable economic development in particular of tourism, fishery and agriculture
- Solution of transport and other infrastructure issues